+ Getting Started
How long does it take to ship?
Most orders will be shipped the same day or the next day. A shipping confirmation should be emailed to you within 24 to 48 hours of your order, with a link to track the package.
What's included in the startup package?
A Button Sensor, a Gateway, and a Gateway charger.
What mobile device and what version of iOS do I need?
You must have an Apple mobile device with iOS 8.0 or newer (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) or Android mobile device (Google Nexus 4/5/6, Samsung Galaxy S 4/5/6, Samsung Note 3, or Android 4.3 BLE devices) in order to operate the SafeWander system. .
Where do I plug in the Gateway and do I need WiFi in the rooms?
Plug the Gateway into the charger and then into an outlet close to the patient’s bed, ideally within 5 feet. The Sensor and the Gateway are connected by low-energy Bluetooth, saving sensor battery.
For convenience, the Gateway can be plugged in at all times, even when the sensor is not in use.
Do I need WiFi in the room?
To use the Gateway for remote monitoring, SafeWander requires WiFi (802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz) in the patient’s room.
However, if your mobile device and Gateway are in the same room, they will automatically communicate via their built-in Bluetooth, without going though the Gateway. In that situation, no WiFi is required in the room.
How do I complete the initial registrations on my Apple or Android device?
Before using SafeWander, you must register yourself, your patient, the Sensor and the Gateway on your mobile device.
You must turn Bluetooth on in your mobile device in order to use SafeWander.
Step I. Open the App. Tap "Create Account" and enter your email address and a password.
Step II. Tap "Add Patient" near the center of the screen. Enter your patient’s name and gender. You may add a photo of the patient by tapping the patient icon. Tap "Save" on the top right. Tap "New Sensor" in the menu that appears on the screen.
Step III. Turn on the Sensor by pushing and holding the button on the Sensor for 3 seconds until a light flashes on the Sensor.
Step IV. Tap "New Gateway" in the menu that appears on the screen to register the Gateway. Plug the Gateway into the charger and then into an outlet. Wait until the power light stops flashing. Then click the button on the Gateway once. Choose your WiFi network by tapping one of the networks in the menu "Choose an Access Point" and enter your WiFi password. Then tap "Join" in the top right corner. Once connected, the WiFi, Internet and Cloud lights on the Gateway should all be lit.
You can use one mobile device to monitor multiple patients. To register more patients/sensors, tap on the "My Patients" button in the black bar at the bottom of the screen. Then tap "+" in the top right corner and repeat steps II and III.
+ Use Your Sensor
Where do I attach the sensor?
SafeWander detects your patient’s getting up by monitoring his/her body position. To avoid false alarms, you must attach the Sensor to tight-fitting clothes, including underwear, briefs, T-shirts, and pajamas. Some of the ideal sensor locations are shown below, but we encourage you to be creative and find the most reliable location for the sensor.
How do I attach the sensor?
Attach the Sensor before putting the clothes on the patient.
Watch the video and read the diagram below to learn how to easily and securely attach the Button Sensor to any clothing using our patent-pending OneTwist™ method.
What are the main features of the SafeWander™ App?
My Patients dashboard
Once the initial registrations are completed, the App will always show the "My Patients" dashboard when you open the App. The dashboard lists all your patients and their statuses.
- When your patient has lain down on the bed, the dashboard will display “Sleeping" next to a green dot.
- When your patient is up, the dashboard will display “Awake” next to an orange dot and the background of the patient will flash orange.
- When the sensor is disconnected from your mobile device, the dashboard will display “No Sensor Signal."
To the right of each patient's name is a switch that turns the Alert on or off. When the switch is turned on and green, you will receive a beeping alert when your patient is up. When the switch is turned off and grey, you will not receive a beeping alert.
- Click History in the black bar on the bottom of the screen to view each patient’s history of getting up.
- Click Settings in the black bar on the bottom of the screen
to sign in or out and to view the Sensors and Gateways registered on your mobile device.
If the patient is monitored by only one mobile device, you do not need to sign out even when you are not using the App.
How do I start monitoring my patient?
- Attach the Sensor to the clothes before putting the clothes on your patient;
- After your patient lies down on the bed, open the App on your mobile device and tap the switch on the dashboard to turn on the alert. The switch will turn green. Make sure that the Sensor lies flat and that the SafeWander logo is visible and leveled.
Repeat Step 2 to monitor multiple patients.
What should I do when I hear a beeping alert?
You will receive a beeping alert on your mobile device when the Sensor detects your patient’s getting up.
- Swipe the screen to stop the beeping. If your phone was on and not sleeping when you received the alert, tap the notification to stop the beeping. The background of the patient will turn orange and flash.
- After you check the patient, tap one of the two buttons now appearing on the dashboard:
“Confirm”, if the patient did get up, or
“Ignore” if the patient did not get up.
This step will ensure the reliability of the patient history records.
How do I continue monitoring my patient after I receive an alert?
The sensor will automatically start monitoring your patient again. Make sure that the alert switch is turned on and green, so that you will continue to receive beeping alerts.
Can one patient be monitored by multiple caregivers?
Multiple mobile devices can monitor one patient each at a time. All the devices must be registered with the same user name and password on the App.
How do I stop monitoring?
Simply tap the switch on the dashboard to turn off the alert. The switch will turn grey. Take off the sensor (or the patient's clothes) and store it in a secure location while not in use.
How do I use the button on the Sensor?
The button on the Sensor (below the SafeWander logo) allows you to turn the Sensor on or off and also to check if the power is on. For the sake of convenience, you may leave the Sensor on at all times, unless you will not use the Sensor for one week or longer. The Sensor consumes very little power.
To turn the Sensor on or off, push and hold the button on the Sensor for 3 seconds until a light flashes on the Sensor.
To check if the power is on, push the button once.
- If a green light flashes on the Sensor, it is on.
- If no light flashes, it is off.
Should I turn off the Sensor while it is not in use?
For daily usage, you do not need to turn the Sensor on or off. Even if you leave the Sensor on at all times, it will consume very little battery. As long as the Alert switch on the dashboard is turned off and gray, you will not receive any alert.
If you do not use the Sensor for one week or longer, you may turn off the Sensor by pushing and holding the sensor for 3 seconds until a green light flashes on the Sensor.
What should I do if the "My Patients" dashboard shows “No Sensor Signal”?
Check the lights on the Gateway. The four lights on the bottom of the Gateway – Power, WiFi, Internet, and Cloud – should be lit when the Gateway is plugged into an outlet. If not, see the next question below.
Make sure that the Sensor is on. Push the button on the Sensor, and if no light flashes, turn on the Sensor by pushing and holding the button for 3 seconds until a light flashes.
Make sure that the Sensor is not connected to other user accounts. Note that multiple caregivers can monitor one patient, but only each at one time.
What should I do if the bottom four lights on the Gateway are not lit?
- Check the WiFi signal strength in the room (using your mobile device) and check the router at your home/facility. Try to move the gateway closer to your router.
- Make sure that your Gateway has been properly registered. Tap "Settings" on the bottom right of the screen. Tap "Gateways." If you do not see your Gateway, then the Gateway has not been registered. In that case, follow these steps:
a) Tap "Add Gateway" and the App will display instructions and a picture.
b) Go to the Gateway device (that is plugged in an outlet next to your dad’s bed), and press the button on the Gateway.
c) You will see a list of WiFi networks on the App. Select your WiFi and then input the password for your WiFi.
- If the lights on the Gateway still are not lit, re-register the Gateway by deleting it from the App and following steps a), b), and c) listed above.
What should I do if I receive a false alert?
A false alert means that you received a beeping alert but your patient did not get up from bed. Please press "Ignore" on the "My Patients" dashboard if you hear a false alert. To prevent false alerts, make sure that:
- the patient's clothes fit him/her tightly,
- the Sensor is properly attached to his/her clothes – the SafeWander logo must be visible on the front side of the clothes and leveled,
- the Sensor lies flat (not tilted) when the patient lies down.
What should I do if the sensor fails to alert me when my patient gets up?
Make sure that:
- The alert switch is turned on on the "My Patients" dashboard.
- The Sensor is connected to your mobile device by checking if the dot under your patient's name is green.
- Your phone is not on "Do Not Disturb" mode.
The alert sound is not working – The SafeWander app does show that “XXX is out of bed” and the background is flashing, but no sound can be heard.
Deactivate “Do Not Disturb”
Go to Settings of your mobile device and make sure you do not have Do Not Disturb activated. You might have accidently switched on Do Not Disturb (the moon symbol) from the drag up control center of your device.
Check the mute button. Your mobile device might have frozen in mute mode. Flick the Mute button on and off several times.
Reboot your mobile device
Hold the home and lock button together for few seconds until your mobile device restarts itself.
Turn on Notifications
Go to Settings of your mobile device, tap Notifications, find SafeWander and switch on “Allow Notifications”.
When should I replace the battery?
The Sensor is powered by a replaceable CR1632 coin cell battery, which is expected to last up to one year. When the sensor fails to turn on, the battery must be replaced.
How do I replace the battery?
- Use a dinner knife to turn the slit on the back cover of the sensor in the counterclockwise direction until the cover lifts.
- Open the cover and replace the battery.
- Close the cover using the dinner knife.
- Turn on the Sensor by pushing and holding the button on the Sensor for 3 seconds until a green light flashes on the sensor.
What should I do when I start using a new mobile device?
Make sure that you sign off at your older device and sign into the new device with the same user name and password.
Is the sensor waterproof? How should I care for the sensor?
The sensor is waterproof. Clean the Sensor and Gateway with a damp cloth. You may also sterilize or rinse the Sensor. However, please do not wash or launder the Sensor.
When it is not in use, store the Sensor in a secure location. The Sensor and its cap may cause a choking hazard.
How do I replace a Sensor?
- Open the SafeWander™ App.
- Tap Settings on the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap the row labeled "Sensors."
- Tap Edit on the top left.
- Tap the “-“ sign on the left to delete the old Sensor.
- Tap the “+” sign on the top right of the screen
- Follow the instructions on the App to register the new sensor.
- Tap "Patients" on the bottom left.
- For Apple devices, tap "Edit" on the top left. For Android devices, press your patient's name and hold
- Tap the arrow to the right of your patient.
- Tap the row labeled "Sensor."
- Tap the new sensor.
Our Commitment to You
Email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from our intensely committed SafeWander team will reply back as soon as we can.
We check our inbox frequently.