Getting Started, Attach Sensor to Clothing
Should I buy "SafeWander Sensor" or "SafeWander Sensor + Gateway"?
The SafeWander sensor can be used with or without the Gateway.
If your smartphone or tablet is in the same room as the Sensor, they will communicate via their built-in Bluetooth. Therefore, you do not need to buy a Gateway. WiFi is not required either.
If you monitor from a different room (or anywhere), you will need to buy a Gateway and place it close to the Sensor to relay the Sensor signal to your phone/tablet via WiFi and Internet. WiFi is required to use the Gateway.
How long does it take to set up SafeWander and what are the steps?
It should take no more than 15 minutes to get started in the following four simple steps:
(1) Plug Gateway near the patient’s bed
(2) Download SafeWander App
(3) Register user, patient, sensor, and gateway
(4) Attach sensor to clothing and start monitoring
What mobile device do I need?
In order to monitor/operate the SafeWander sensor, you must have an Apple or an Android mobile device that has Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), such as
· iPhone 4s or later
· iPod Touch 5 or later
· iPad 3/4/mini/air/pro
· Google Nexus 4/5/6
· Samsung Galaxy S4 or later
· Samsung Note 3/4/5
Is WiFi required?
To use the Gateway for remote monitoring, SafeWander requires strong WiFi signal (802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz) in the room.
However, if your mobile device and Sensor are in the same room, they will automatically communicate via their built-in Bluetooth, without going though the Gateway. In that situation, no WiFi is required.
Where do I plug in the Gateway?
Plug the Gateway into the adaptor (included in the package) and then plug it into a wall outlet close to the patient’s bed, ideally within 5 ft. This distance is limited by the Bluetooth Low Energy range between the Sensor and the Gateway in order to save the Sensor battery.
Leave the Gateway in the outlet at all times, even when the Sensor is not in use.
How do I complete the initial registrations on my mobile device?
You must turn Bluetooth on in your mobile device.
For Android devices with OS 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, you must turn on Location service.
(1) Open the App. Create a User Account with your email address and password.
(2) Enter your patient’s name. You have an option to take a photo of the patient by tapping the patient icon. Tap Save on the top right.
(3) Tap New Sensor to register your Sensor. Turn on the Sensor by pushing and holding the button on the Sensor for 3 seconds until a light flashes on the Sensor.
(4) Tap New Gateway to register your Gateway. Make sure that the Gateway power light is on; push the button on the Gateway once and the available WiFi networks’ SSID* will appear on the screen. Select your WiFi and enter the WiFi password. Once connected, the WiFi, IP Address, Internet and Cloud lights on the Gateway should all light up in green.
*Android users: the SSID of your WiFi must be 20 characters or less.
Where do I attach the Sensor?
SafeWander detects your patient’s getting up by monitoring his/her body position. The alert is issued when the upper body’s angle in flexion direction exceeds a threshold. To avoid false alerts, you must attach the Sensor to tight-fitting clothing, including T-shirts, pajamas, underwear, and briefs. Some of the ideal sensor locations are shown below, but we encourage you to experiment and find the most reliable location of the sensor for your patient .
How do I attach the Sensor?
Warning: After attaching the sensor to clothing, make sure that the SafeWander logo is visible and parallel with the ground when the patient is standing.